After back-to-back subpar weeks Colin came roaring back with a 4-1 Week 14 Blazin’ 5 to move him to 39-29-2 on the season, and he’s ready to continue his hot hand with his Week 15 picks. Uncle Colin’s feelin’ a heater coming on, pull up a seat
Here are his Week 15 Blazin’ 5 plays:
- Browns (+3) at Broncos – Everyone thinks Colin hates Baker Mayfield, but he loves the Browns getting a field goal in Denver against the Broncos. Cleveland has won 3 of 4 and Baker has been on fire since OC Freddie Kitchens took over playcalling after the firing of Hue Jackson and Todd Haley. Since Week 10, Mayfield leads the NFL in Yards Per Pass attempt (10.0), and ranks 2nd in Completion % (74.8), and Passer Rating (121.8). He’s also only been sacked 4 times in that span, the fewest in the league.
Defensively the Browns rank 2nd only to the Bears with 28 takeaways, and the Broncos only convert 33% of their third downs (28th). Cleveland covers and wins outright, 24-23.
2. Raiders (+3) at Bengals – Gruden’s Raiders have been bad this year, but Colin likes them getting 3 on the road against the Bengals and their historically bad defense. Oakland is coming off a 24-21 win over the Steelers and faces a Cincy squad that’s lost 5 straight and ranks at or near the bottom in every key statistical defensive category. The Bengals “defense” ranks dead last in PPG Allowed (30.5), Total YPG Allowed (421.9), Rush YPG Allowed (148.1), and 3rd Down % Allowed (52.7).
They should get torched by Derek Carr, who hasn’t thrown a pick since Week 5 and who’s completing 75% of his passes with 303.5 Pass YPG, 5 TD, 0 INT, and a 123.0 Passer Rating in his last 2 games. Gruden covers and gets the win, 27-21.
3. Cowboys at Colts (-2.5) – No one has been happier at the resurgence of Andrew Luck than Colin, and he loves Luck and Indy as 2.5 point favorites against Dallas and Dak. The Colts come into this one having won 6 of 7, and since Week 7 they’ve allowed the fewest PPG in the NFL (17.0). Behind an improved o-line, Luck has only been sacked 16 times on the season (2nd fewest – NFL), and is converting 47% on 3rd down (2nd – NFL). He’s also posting career highs in Completion % (67.7), TD/INT Ratio (34/13), and Passer Rating (99.2) His 34 TD passes are second to only Pat Mahomes.
The Cowboys have been hot, but Dak Prescott has been sacked 48 times (Most – NFL), and Dallas’ 46% Red Zone TD Percentage ranks 30th overall. Colts win and cover the 2 over a flat Cowboys team, 24-20
4. Titans (+2.5) at Giants – Colin likes the Titans getting 2.5 in New York against the Giants, minus Odell Beckham. Tennessee comes in as winners of 2 straight, and 4 of 6 overall, they’re also 2-0 against the NFC East this year (wins over Philly and Dallas). The Titans defense has been keeping them in games, ranking 2nd in Red Zone TD % Allowed (44.4), 4th in PPG Allowed (19.5), 6th in 3rd Down % Allowed (36.4), and 9th in Total YPG Allowed (334.3).
Giants have won 4 of their last 5 but have beaten the murder’s row of Nick Mullens, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chase Daniel and Mark Sanchez in the process. Eli Manning has been sacked 43 times this season (3rd-most in NFL) and should struggle to stay upright against a physical Tennessee D. Titans cover and win outright, 30-24.
4. Eagles at Rams (-11) – Colin usually hates betting big favorites, but he can’t pass up the Rams laying 11 at home against Philly without Carson Wentz. The Rams are undefeated at home (6-0, T-1st), while averaging 472.7 Total YPG (1st-NFL), and 37.7 PPG (2nd). Jared Goff is coming off his worst game of the year, but his 124.5 home passer rating ranks 3rd the league. L.A. is 5-0 following a loss under Sean McVay and averaging 34.4 PPG. They’ll shred an Eagles defense that’s allowing an eye-popping 433.8 YPG since Week 10 (Most-NFL).
The Rams defense has allowed 16 points-or-fewer in back-to-back games, and will feast on Nick Foles, minus the magic. Rams win big and cover the 11, 41-26.
Make sure you download and subscribe to Colin’s Blazin’ 5 Podcast with RJ Bell at TheHerdNow.com,iHeart Radio, Google Play, or iTunes to find out what the wiseguys say about his Week 15 picks. Don’t miss it!
— Herd w/Colin Cowherd (@TheHerd) December 14, 2018